There will be CAP challenges in 2023, but every team has them, the Jets are in the middle of the pack. The only Question on Lawson is when do we cut him, is there a remote possibility of obtaining a late round pick ? My feeling is that Douglas will try to accommodate the player, you don’t want two Lawson’s (Buffalo) pissed off at you. Huff being an RFA is fascinating, looks like a second round tender is appropriate. But the right of first refusal costs 2,269,000, second round tender 4, 308, 000, and a first round tender costs a whopping 6,011,000.. Last year Douglas went with first refusal , for QB Mike White and won, I’m a second round tender guy every year.
The Jets double dipped at DE in last years draft, could Double dip in this years draft at DT.. i was very skeptical about signing Rankins for less money, but the Jets , especially at defensive line, are a pretty desirable location.
One thing that Confused me in the beginning of the season was the fact that Huff was not active for the first 3 games. That was after the fact that Saleh was singing his praises as the best pass rusher in training camp.
Since then the pass rush has been from very good to excellent and it seems that Huff is always in the middle of it in definite pass rush circumstances.
I don’t know if some analytic genius keeps tabs for who is on the field when sacks happen but I guarantee you, if they did, Huffs name would be there. It seems 47 is always around the qb. In the first Buffalo game on Allen’s last pass, if he holds the ball, Huff crushes him.
Another up and comer, Jermaine Johnson, unfortunately injuries this year have slowed down his progress but I’ll be willing to bet Buffalo wants no part of him after that great sack of Allen in the first game and the block punt this week. Too bad the ball didn’t bounce up to him. He almost got another block on the next punt.
It appears the Jets really struck gold with Huff, JJ and Cleamons. Let’s hope their careers go injury free.
Another fine article DW-H! I'm putting on my fan GM cap for this response.....lol
1. The Jets are in a good place with QW since we exercised the 5th year option. He is going to be a rich man. 20+ a year for sure.
2. I'd like to see them sign Rankins to a two year deal for around the same $ as his present contract.
3. I agree with drafting a DT high in 2023. Let's keep the D-line a position of strength.
4. Back up depth with remaining FAs like Soloman Thomas, Nathan Sheppard, etc.....
1. Restructure Carl Lawson or cut if he is not willing.
2. 1st round tender on Bryce Huff ( He will get poached on a 2nd round tender and if a large cap space team like Bears or Falcons front load a contract we won't be able to match ).
3. We have good depth with JJ and Clemons entering their 2nd year.
4. Draft another DE late
5. Resign Curry or another Veteran to a minimum deal.
I have PTSD from all those losing years - Jeff (my son) keepsreminding me we are going to two BIG games at home in December - cant get any better then that - you reminded me again - time to get exicted !
Nice article. Do oline please.
right - Up 10-0 and it evaporated it seemed in seconds !
Sometime you are going to be sitting right next to me - my treat !